The church was built on the site of a primitive mosque between the years 1555 and 1560, which was later destroyed by the Moors, delayed its reconstruction until 1603 when Ambrosio de Vico gave green light to build the framework. In 1617 the chapel of the Rosario was built, and shortly after the chapel of the BuenSuceso. In the eighteenth century, new chapels were opened, such as the old Sanctum and the chapel of the Souls. Over time the structure of the church resented, being in a ruined state in the mid-19th century, so in the during the following decades, the tower and sides were restored and built. Between 1876 and 1882 a new space as opened on each side, taking part advantage of the space of the old cemetery. The earthquake of 1884 also seriously affected it. Again in 1922, new repairs were carried out, in which the masters Máximo Robles and Rafael de Mingorance, residents of Lanjarón, helped to build it. On its plot was erected an ancient mosque that was razed by Christians in the conflicts arising from the first rebellion of the Alpujarras in 1500, building on it the primitive church. However, with the serious crisis of 1568, the church was burned and massacred the vast majority of the old Christians who lived here, on Christmas day of that year.
Subsequently, after the Moors have been expelled and during the preparations leading up to the repopulation, we have heard that it had not yet been rebuilt. Thus in the Book of Apeos and Population of Lanjarón del Valle, (No. 98, the year 1572) preserved in the Royal Chancery, the church is said to be “burned and only the walls are standing”. Therefore the current building dates from the late sixteenth century, specifically from 1581. Next to its walls was also the cemetery that ceased to be used back in 1872 and whose space served as an extension to the church.
The church is located on Calle Real.